Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Misha Then and Now

Every year Misha and I make a list detailing each other’s traits that we most admire. I find it difficult to avoid typing up the same old list I would have written after our first date. Of course, I remember the date like it was yesterday. It was a Wednesday night study of Mere Christianity and a trip to the Hamburger Barn in Arkadelphia, AR. Misha ordered a honey mustard chicken sandwich and I probably had the fajita quesadillas. I only remember that because Misha finished her sandwich before I finished my food and I said, “Man, I’ve never seen a woman put away a sandwich like that before.” Yep, I was smooth. And I was fortunate enough to get a second date.


Even then, my list would have included Misha’s insight into the deep, dark corners of my soul, the face she doesn’t realize she’s making in the mirror when she’s checking her makeup, the way her legs look in black tights, her roundabout yet supremely entertaining way of telling a story, her unwavering determination to speak only what is true, and the intelligence with which she speaks.


I think it’s fair to say that I was completely smitten from the earliest days of our courtship.


We’ve been married 11 years now, and the things that flew me to the moon when we met in 1998 are still among my favorite things about Misha. I discovered early on that she has no tolerance for girlish drama, and that she values people over stuff. It was our first real conversation that clued me in her talent for seeing beyond surface level conversation to see foundational issues at play. Everyone on campus was aware of her obvious talent, but not everyone knew that Misha could craft a story that would have you laughing and crying all at the same time.


So I guess I will dig deep and try to get beyond the same old list that I keep repeating every time I give a compliment. And I’ll avoid the ol’ standby, “yur purty”.


I love that Misha so obviously loves kids. Especially babies. Every kid at Sam Houston Elementary is “her kid”.


Misha’s brain makes connections I usually overlook, which makes her a very interesting conversation partner.


Misha wants to be the best she can be at whatever she’s doing at any given moment.


I love the way Misha reads. She reads a book all the way through, and, if she likes it, she’ll go back and re-read her favorite sections.


Misha can’t resist giving to a worthy cause. Missionaries, students, kids in Haiti, Susan G. Komen, Hope Center, the list goes on.


Misha willingly gives her time away. Especially for ministry, school projects, or advancing the arts in Corsicana.


Misha watches the Star Wars saga with me, if only just to be with me. She scoffs most of the time, but still, she watches. And she recognizes the amazingly well done archetypes...


Misha loves to research cars and houses. Even when we aren’t in the market, she checks out realtor.com and local auto deals.


Misha organizes her schedule around our family. We all know that we are the most important thing in her life outside her relationship with Christ.


Misha is one of the deepest thinkers I know about spiritual things. She breaks through the clutter of big words and breaks difficult concepts down into their basic parts.


Misha’s legs still look fantastic in black stockings.






No comments:

Post a Comment